Monday, April 11, 2011

Birds of a Feather

Chicken Salad is one of those things that I have loved since I was a kid and have pretty much tried it every place I get the chance.  For the most part I am a purest and don't like a lot of things added to it, until most recently.  I have discovered that fruit and nuts enhance the awesomeness of the chicken, so here is my take on a classic.

Ingredients:
3 chicken boneless skinless chicken breasts
8 to 12 cloves of garlic
3/4 cup of pecans
3/4 cup red seedless grapes
2 to 3 Tablespoons of Mayo
Salt and Pepper
1 Tablespoon of Dijon Mustard
2 teaspoons of tarragon

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Place chicken in a baking dish that has the bottom coated with Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Season the chicken with Kosher Salt and Fresh Cracked Black Pepper
Scatter all of the garlic cloves over the chicken
Drizzle with EVOO

Bake for 25 to 30 minutes (until the skin is golden and the juices run clear)
Once the chicken has been cooked and cooled (I like to cool mine over night in the fridge, not required)
Chop the chicken into bite sized pieces

Rough chop the pecans (not minced or diced)

Wash, dry and cut the grapes in half lengthwise

Add grapes and pecans to the bowl of chicken
Start with 2 Tablespoons of Mayo (add more if needed)
Add 1 Tablespoon of Dijon Mustard
Add 2 teaspoons of finely chopped fresh tarragon
Mix well and incorporate all ingredients (if too dry add a little more mayo)
Taste for proper seasoning (IE: does it need more salt or pepper)


At this point in the game you can go many different directions, this is great on crackers or over a salad; but in my world this chicken salad is longing for some warm, toasty bread.  I went with a honey wheat that I had picked up at the Farmer's Market.


After the bread has been toasted I add a handful of either baby spinach or spring mix and a sliced of sharp Vermont cheddar cheese



Now at this point you have a perfect roasted chicken salad sandwich that is sure to make your mouth very happy.  Give this one a shot and you won't be sorry, enjoy food friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment